When living in a fast paced world where technology literally gives you everything you need and more at the touch of a button – or the click of a mouse… In the same way that home cooked meals and organic produce is coming back into fashion, so is the concept of slow travel, which embraces the journey rather than focusing solely on the destination. While airplanes whisk you seamlessly from point A to point B, road travel puts you at eye-level with the landscape you’re travelling through and gives you time to take in the overwhelming beauty of the scenery on those roads less travelled.
For a truly memorable road trip, you have to try the infamous Garden Route, which does offer a little something for everyone.
The Garden Route is a classic South African road trip if ever there was one. This route simply follows the N2 highway along the coast, through the pretty towns, lush green landscapes and towered over by the Outeniqua Mountains for a large part of the trip. Before reaching the windy but friendly city of Port Elizabeth, the route takes you towards the coast to Jeffreys Bay and then through PE inland towards the decidedly green region of Addo and the Addo Elephant National Park.
When travelling on this iconic route, here are a few stops that you just can’t miss…
– Sedgefield: pass through on a Saturday and visit the iconic Wild Oats Farmers Market
– Knysna: check out the Knysna Heads and take a boat across the bay to explore the island, get up close to the gentle giants at the Knysna Elephant Park and if you plan it right, you can also catch the Knysna Oyster Festival in June/July
– Plettenberg Bay: enter the big aviary at Birds of Eden, chill on the safe beaches, while whale & dolphin watching
– Storms River: do the Bloukrans Bungee (the highest bungee jump in the world), tube down the river and explore the snorkelling trail at the Tsitsikamma National Park
– Jeffreys Bay: surf at the famous Supertubes
– Addo: get up close & personal with Africa’s wildlife at the Addo Elephant National Park
Hertz Car Hire will have you cruising along the Garden Route in no time at all. All you have to do is click on their easy to use online booking system. Here you can pick and choose from a variety of rental vehicles of all shapes and sizes to suit your individual needs. With a number of branches in and around South Africa, your starting destination and ending destination need never be the same.
Contact Hertz today and save on costs and maintenance on your own vehicle. Be sure to take a look at their specials running throughout the year ensuring that you save more, which means you will be able to spend more on your Garden Route trip!